Outsider Art: Jarl Sketch

Drawing Jarl

I should have drawn Jarl ages ago, especially since each time I draw any character from Outsider I get so many people asking me to draw him. But now that I have, judging by the reaction I got on my Instagram, I think half of you fell in love with him.

What I used: Mechanical pencil (**), Powder Puff, Makeup Brush, Rubber Pencil (**), Paper Tortillion(**) Graphite Pen(**)

You’re probably thinking why on earth I have a makeup brush listed as what I used, well… a concealer brush is actually amazing for blending. Especially with a graphite pen. Especially if it’s those annoyingly stiff concealer brushes. I hate them for makeup but they are perfect for blending pastels, pencil or charcoal.

Finished

When I drew the sketch he didn’t look old enough, so once I’d transferred the sketch I added a few more wrinkles and aged him up a little. I still need to do a proper drawing like the ones I’ve done of Knud and Astrid, but that will have to be another time.

You can read Outsider here

Comments

Wow! This is a beautiful sketch! And I actually have a concealer brush with very stiff bristles. I’ll have to try it next time I’m shading something. Were there any particular actors or artists you used as a reference for Jarl, or for parts of his face, such as jawline or the way his hair parts? Beautiful job.

• Klaire says

I try not to look at actors when I’m drawing because you inevitably end up drawing whatever actor you have a crush on. Normally I google features, and then mesh them together while I’m doing the sketching stage so that the character is their own person and not a loose imitation of an actor :)

2. Louise A. says

Yes yes yes this is EXACTLY how I pictured him ! He looks so handsome, good job ! I’d die to see a colored version :D

3. Kayla Latta says

As a writer I am very envious of your ability to do this. I have like no drawing skills and I would love to be able to sketch out my characters and bring them to life, but it just isn’t going to happen. You should try out wattpad by the way, it is a great site for writers who can share there stuff and get great feedback (well sometimes, this is still the internet so you still get some idiots of course). Anyways, I love the sketch and I am currently reading the sample on the kindle app and so far it’s great!

4. Lalita T. Vongs says

Just finished the book last night and I think its wonderful. Its been a long time since I last enjoyed a good fantasy novel. Not to mention the ending is kinda cute despite the rather grim situatiol. Cannot wait for the sequel!

Awesome drawing! I just finished reading the book and must confess that the whole time I imagined Jarl as the pretty (though unaccurate) dwarf in The Hobbit movies (Kili), haha!