Making the Paper Wings Lyric Video

First Photos

I should have gotten this blog post done months ago, it took so much time and work to make even when you don’t count how long it took to write and make the song, but I figure better late than never.

This was the first time I’d ever made a lyric video

This was the first time I’d ever made a lyric video so I was really nervous about it! Like anything I do, now I don’t like it because I can see everything I could have improved, but it was a very good learning experience! So the next songs will be much better because of it (or at least I hope!)

Sketches

In total the paper wings video took about about 2-3 weeks solid to do. The editing itself didn’t actually take that long, probably about 20 hours roughly in total to edit, but the drawings took aaaaaages!

First thing Silvija and I did is decided on images that we felt was the best representation of the lyrics.

We figured out the timing of the video and how long each picture would have on the screen then wrote out what single image would best represent that section of lyrics.

What I used

Once I had that it was really just about doing all the initial sketch work before doing the drawings. I had a rough idea of how I wanted to edit the video but as usual, once I started editing the plan changed slightly.

I used: Mechanical pencil , Paper tortillion, 1.0 ball point pen

I love pointillism but at the end of making this video I was ready to hate it forever. Took so long just to do one of the small drawings, it was worth it though. I’m especially fond of the feather drawing and the broken glass bell dome with the escaping key.

Laid Out On The FloorLaid Out Broken Feather My Two Favourites

And just a small update, no we (Fenix) have not forgotten about the album. It’s all written (some of the feedback I got for this song was majorly helpful for that) and we’re going to be recording as soon as Natassja. As much as we can’t wait to get into all the musical goodness it would be stupid to put the album before education when there are only a few months left for Natassja.

Small side note, if we were to put any of these on T-shirts which drawing would you like best?

submit to reddit Share on Tumblr

1. Jacqueline says:

I love them all! I think the one with the door is my favorite, but the one with the ‘new wings’ I think would go great on a t-shirt because it best fits the overall story of the song. The door wouldn’t make much sense by itself. :P

2. Justina says:

Hi, Klaire. I love your work! I’ve been looking around for a while. You are truly talented.
    My personal favorite for a t-shirt would be the key in the glass dome. So pretty, and somewhat nostalgic of an iconic Disney film that happens to be my favorite.

3. Josefine says:

I would love to see the broken glass bell dome on a t-shirt. I think it would turn out really beautiful.

4. Kate says:

I love the broken glass dome! I think that one would be best on a t-shirt – I really love the feather though as well :) You’re very talented!

5. Miranda says:

My favorites are the angel, the feather and the broken glass dome. All of them are beautiful and done amazingly well. Cannot wait to see more.

6. Lox says:

Either the broken glass dome or the feather would look really good on a t-shirt :) x

7. Amelie Thelwis says:

For T-shirt the feather, either of the bell domes and I personally really like the wooden man curled up or with the wings out, I just think its striking

8. New Year’s resolutions are not just for individuals. Deborah DiStefano is a Board Certified Ophthalmologist. The consuming of Safed Musli also aid in improving the male potency and energy levels.Chinese green tea is also said to avoid tooth decay. Some aromatherapy benefits that are more commonly known including Relaxation and stress relief, Mood enhancement, balance and well being, Relief of minor discomforts, Boosting the immune, Cam Fowler Authentic Jersey , respiratory and circulatory system

9. Lilian R Meyer says:

I loved them all… the broken dome is most probably my favourite. I suppose it depends, if you wanted to make it so that it made sense by itself the new wings or broken wings would fit best, but if that wasn’t going into your consideration then the broken dome would be amazing on a t-shirt. I quite like the idea of you maybe putting some lyrics on with it too, but that’s just me.

10. Sophie says:

That shirt idea is great!
    I’d love one with the escaping key on, or the crowd of dummies.

11. candice hill says:

I would put both keys, ne on the front and one on the back to represent before and after of the shattering glass.