(*TAD= The Art Diaries)
Quite pleased that lately I’ve managed to really make a dent into looks I’ve had listed down to do for ages, I’ve been planning on doing a queen of heart makeup look for well over a year now, and I’ve had this prop sketch in my work book for about 5 months.
The sad thing is I must have spent about 20 minutes searching for my original sketch, I have about 4 different sketchbook (each one on a different topic, for example You Tube looks/prop design then the others are each for seperate personal projects) but like a genius I haven’t marked any of them and they’re all the same sized black notebook.
“It’s just so much more relaxing to photograph it through the various stages and blog about it instead”
I was thinking of filming the whole process but to be honest I really hate filming anything that isn’t going to be a tutorial, when I work I don’t like having the stress of thinking about camera angles, lighting and wether or not my work is in focus.
First thing I did is traced the features of the original sketch that I liked onto water colour card before cutting out the card shape and changing the fatures I didn’t like. I left out drawing what the hands were going to look like till they were the last things I had to paint just because I really didn’t like the original way I had drawn them and didn’t have a clear image in my head till that point.
What I used:
- Mechanical Pencil
- WHS Watercolour Pencils
- Winsor and Newton Watercolour Paints (**)
- Derwent Coloursoft Pencils (**)
I ended up hardly using the colouring pencils (except for that egg blue you can see on the right side of the card) I absolutely love working with watercolours and it’s been a while since I’ve had a chance to use them so I went a bit mental with them.
Annoyingly though I only noticed that I drew the Red Queen’s hand the wrong way around once I’d finished painting her hand.
One of my favorite ways to work is to clip my water colour paints at the end of my clip board and just curl up in a chair with a film on in the corner. I can’t work in silence, it’s one of those things that drive me mad! I have to had either music playing in the background (if some of you remember my old makeup videos that’s why I always wore headphones) or a film I’ve already watched on.
Overall I was really pleased with the red queen (the dagger one) but really unhappy with the white queen. I think I re-painted her face about 3 times before I finally got it looking roughly how I wanted it to look.
The funny thing though is that in the original sketch it was the other way around. No problem drawing the white queen but the red queen gave me no end of hassle.
Should be using this either in the pictures of my Queen of Hearts look or the intro, or both :)